Thursday, December 6, 2012

Flat Stanley's Dublin Adventures

Hi, Collicott School Room 340! My name is Annie, and I'm Matty's big cousin. Right now, I'm spending a semester of my college in the Netherlands, and I get to travel to other countries every weekend. A couple of my friends and I just took a trip to Dublin, Ireland, and Matty sent me a Flat Matty to take along with me. Unfortunately, he got lost somewhere in the European postal system. But I took his pal Flat Stanley along with me to Dublin instead!

We flew out of the Netherlands at 5:00 AM on Thursday, which was much too early for me and Stanley. My friends were really excited to meet him! Here he is with Lexie:

CIMG4412

He was pretty small, so he rode along in my wallet.

CIMG4414

But he made sure to get a look out the window!

CIMG4416

When we got to Dublin, he checked out the sights. Here he is in the city center:

DSC_8217

We all took a trip down to Christ Church Cathedral, the oldest medieval cathedral in Dublin. It was founded all the way back in 1028 AD!

391919_4986555751511_682145211_n

Then we went to the Dublinia Museum, which taught us all about how Vikings raided and inhabited parts of Dublin around 800-900 AD. Stanley got himself in some sticky situations there.

IMG_8676

And we got shackled up in prison,

DSC_8591

But thankfully, the warden let us out for dinner.

We ate at a delicious traditional Irish place called Bobo's. Stanley tried some of my veggie burger.

DSC_8427

The next day, we saw the famous St. Stephen's Green, a park Queen Victoria had built back in the 1800s. It was pretty chilly and gray, but still very beautiful!

DSC_8646

And we took a trip to Malahide Castle, north of Dublin. It's from the 12th century, and housed all kinds of history - including the ghost of a court jester! (We had Stanley keep an eye out, but sadly, we never saw him)

60520_4986571151896_388570383_n

We loved the outside of the castle, and the beautiful gardens.

306045_4986570471879_1929038919_n

That night, we went to a pub that had a great view of the Dublin skyline!

DSC_8408

Stanley was excited to pose in front of it, even though it was a little blurry.

I had so much fun that weekend, and it was great to have a little pal to take along with me! I'm sorry that Flat Matty got lost in the mess of European mail, but I hope that you all had fun seeing Stanley's adventures in the Emerald Isle. Have a great Christmas!


No comments :

Post a Comment