Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Fright Nights: My Favorite Halloween Books

This is no secret, but I really love Halloween. I start looking for costumes in August, I binge watch scary movies, I go to haunted houses, my apartment already has 3 pumpkins in it...this year, I'm even working at a costume pop-up shop. It's kind of my thing. So I figured what better way to celebrate than to do a weekly feature with you guys?

I really do love to read, so I figured a few of my favorite spooky books were a good way to start. There's nothing like curling up with a good scary story and a mug of tea on a fall evening, I think.


Linda Petrushevskaya - There Once Lived a Woman Who Tried to Kill Her Neighbor's Baby
Ridiculously long titles aside, this book is a very enchanted collection of short, scary fairytales. Despite having been written only a couple of years ago, it has a magical, old-timey feel - like stories your grandfather might tell you to spook you this time of year. The titular story is wonderful, and I would also highly recommend "There's Someone in the House" and "My Love."


Ray Bradbury - Something Wicked This Way Comes
Bradbury is obviously one of the masters of horror, and it wouldn't be Halloween without him. My first introduction to him is still my favorite - Something Wicked This Way Comes is a classic for a reason. This is a classic tale of the power of friendship, but the eerie carnival atmosphere and fantastical spooky happenings make it a must-read. And if you read it as a child like me, it's certainly worth another look - it really stands the test of time!


Thomas Tryon - Harvest Home
It's kind of hard to get a copy of this book, but I highly suggest putting in the effort. No one since Faulkner has evoked such a perfect atmosphere of a creepy, close-knit town with a dark, seedy underbelly. I can't tell you much without ruining it, but know that this is an impeccably crafted slow burner that will have you sleeping with your nightlight on.


Alvin Schwartz - Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark
What can I say about this one? This was first introduction to scary stories, and it holds a very special place in my heart. The illustrations never fail to scare (if you can find a copy with the originals, that is). And honestly, some of these stories stand the test of time - "The Red Spot," "Harold," and "High Beams" still freak me out when I read them now!

Do you love Halloween as much as I do? What are some of your favorite books to read this time of year?


1 comment :

  1. Thanks for sharing! I was looking for good spooky halloween stories!

    ReplyDelete